Columbus on the Park is located on the former site of Mother Cabrini Hospital that served Chicago’s Little Italy neighborhood from 1911 until it closed in 1996. FitzGerald was selected to design a residential development for the property, spurred on by the recent renewal of the nearby Tri-Taylor neighborhood and the ongoing development of the Illinois Medical District.
The original building was a landmark in the neighborhood, so it was important that the building be saved and reused. The design includes 105 one-, two- and three-bedroom units ranging from 720 to 1370 square feet, with 80 indoor and 27 surface parking spaces.
Two 14-unit townhouse buildings were designed as a streetwall along Lexington Avenue with a private service drive that features enhanced paving, sidewalks and street lighting. The townhomes are all three-story, three-bedroom units with two-car garages integrated into the home. The design takes cues from the Italianate style of the original hospital building, and include brick with stone bases and detailing, articulated cornices and metal-roofed towers at the corners.