The Sheridan – Aldene Apartments, a 17-story, Italian Renaissance-inspired Structure was part of the real estate empire of the Edith Rockefeller McCormic Trust, which purchased the land in 1925. Mrs. McCormick, daughter of John D. Rockefeller, lived for a time in the building. Edwin Krenn headed the trust’s property development section, and also performed occasional design work. Krenn & Dato, another arm of the trust, provided the $1.2 million mortgage and handled rentals and sales. Like many other development operations, this all collapsed in the 1930s.
The principal architects, Maurice B. Rissman and Leo S. Hirschfeld, devised a series of significant Chicago apartment buildings, several of them quite large by contemporary standards. 3300, according to one early announcement, intended to sell some 27 apartments, with the remainder of the 80 or so units to have been rented.
Two massive entrances, one off Aldine with immense hanging lantern, the other on Lake Shore Drive, pierce the rusticated stone base, and stone urns cap the balustrade topping the building. The corner bays enclosing the large sun porches echo motifs of neighboring buildings.
Today 3300 is
home to luxury condominiums.